You are on your way to making an informed decision about the right orthodontic solution for you! Remember, every orthodontic case is unique, just like every patient is unique. Use the options below to learn more about answers to common questions regarding braces and orthodontic solutions.
Maintaining good oral hygiene without braces is no easy task and requires a lot of diligence. It is important to clean inside your mouth for two main reasons:
1) To protect your teeth against cavities, and
2) To protect your gums against gum disease (gingivitis or periodontitis)
Once braces are glued to the teeth, the task becomes more challenging since the braces tend to accumulate food and plaque. More dedication to oral hygiene is required than before.
We inspect your teeth and gums at every appointment. Healthy gums appear pink and symmetrical. Unhealthy gums appear red, swollen, and irregular. Clean teeth are free of debris whereas teeth not properly cleaned have visible plaque formation. If plaque is left on a tooth long enough it may cause a white opaque discolouration on the tooth, which is the start of a cavity.
Tips for Achieving and Maintaining a Clean Mouth with Braces
• Bring a pocket toothbrush with you wherever you go so that you can brush your teeth after every meal.
• If you cannot brush your teeth after a meal, make sure you remove debris by swishing with water.
• Use the Waterpik® we gave you to help remove debris and irrigate your gums. It is not a substitute for flossing, but definitely helps.
• If you have problems using the floss threaders, we suggest using the Platypus Orthodontic Flossers. We have given you a sample of these in your oral hygiene kit.
• GUM® Soft-Picks® are also very helpful to clean between your teeth, especially those at the back.
• If your gums show signs of puffiness, rinse with warm salt-water twice daily (one teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of warm water).
• Fluoride rinses used once daily are very helpful in protecting against cavities.
• Use the instructions on this website as a resource. If something is unclear, please ask us. We are here to help.