Yes, you may eat during orthodontic treatment! It may surprise you that most foods can still be eaten after braces are placed on your teeth.
The wrong types of food or eating the right kinds of food improperly can cause food to get caught in your braces, stick to braces, loosen braces, or bend wires.
• Corn on the cob
• Hard carrots
• Biting meat off ribs or bones (cut meat off instead)
• Cereals with nuts/granola
• Any type of nut (other than thinly sliced)
• Popcorn (because unpopped kernels and husks stick in gums)
• Candy (hard chocolate, chewy gummy bears, etc.)
• Any whole hard fruit (cut them into pieces instead)
• Large pieces of any meat (cut into small slices)
• Hard crusty bread, including pizza crusts
• Most hard cookies
• Chewing on pencils
• “Nutty” peanut butter